Saturday, May 17, 2008

‘FROM PLATFORM TO PODIUM’: call for paper

Call for write-up on ‘Why student love and Play basketball’

I recently sent out a mail, and prints to some student, staff and players in my university that I know like to watch basketball or are still actively playing basketball with us at the sport court. I wanted to know why they love the game, reason to go to open court when it rains, or wanted to make a career out of basketball. I got some really interesting answers...

According to Demilade (200 Level), one of the students who tried to make the final twelve of the university team,

‘I love the game because of the trill, the feeling of fulfillment after the final buzzer, and cheer and the joy of my teams and fans who came to watch. It is simply Unforgettable’ more so since the coach make it a fun for all involved’

Here is another quote by Okhumoya.W. Saed (200 Level); the University basketball team captain

‘I play and love basketball because to me it’s pure joy. As a point guard and the captain of the team, it gives me added responsibility, knowing that when the ball leaves your hand it must be intended to reach one of my teammates or the basket, and if the ball from my hand rises and falls gracefully through the iron hoop and silk netting, l put a smile on the face of my team mate, supporters and fans, interesting knowing that I am the one who put the smile there’

According to AFEEZ, the University NACOSS (National Association of Computer Science Students) Financial Secretary,

‘Today basketball has made me aware of my influence over others, take great pride in my responsibility to them, I am an authority - A model at NACOSS, a person who can make a great impact on the character development because basketball teaches me team work

I play football and basketball, and have had the privilege of representing the university on both games, unlike football; basketball is one of the only sports which you can play on your own. And it’s the challenge of overcoming yourself and the other which keeps me motivated to try to improve.’

Leonard Lawani (100 level) says ‘basketball brings me joy - regardless if my day has been great or horrible. I know basketball will give me that bit of joy. Thank you basketball … and thanks again coachy for bringing basketball to Bells University.
The Coach say ‘As a creative writer, someone who project pain into poetry, the Danfur Genocide, Zimbabwe conflict, and much more such ethnic problem in Africa, these tensions are stressful and stroke inducible, but playing the game I love at such a conflicting moment, can reduce the danger inherent in health problems such as stroke, that is not all the reason why, I also love to play basketball because it is a perfect game, fusing harmonious team play with opportunities for a talented individual to showcase his creativity and skills. There is nothing quite like swishing a game winning shot or making a perfect backdoor pass or running a smooth give and go and smashing into the university two most outstanding players; Steven Okoye and Tosin (yao ming).

Why do you love basketball? What do you think of the University Basketball Team, do you want to play a part, and can you write an article, poem or story about the sport for the competitiveness and intensity it brings. If yes please send me a comment or an article, with a picture of you (not optional) before the 28th of May 2008, and it will appear on the book to be published on 24th June 2008 ‘From Platform to Podium’
Please email me at tribalpoetry@yahoo.com

Or text your email to 08052130879 for membership to Bells-basketball (groups online)
Thanks
Omosun Sylvester
Planning officer